- You must be admitted or must have been enrolled in the last fall or spring term in good standing or on probation.
- You must obtain an Advising Term Pin from your advisor for use to register in STAR.
- During priority registration, you must meet the classification status requirement.
- You must have your balances and holds cleared.
Add/Drop, Late Fees, and Payment
You will be emailed at your MIX account prior to registration with important information. Be sure to check your MIX account regularly. You may register for/add classes during the Add/Drop period. During the Late Add/Drop period, if you have not previously registered, a late registration fee will be assessed. Please see the current Academic Calendar for the part of term add/drop period dates.
You must make arrangements to pay by the payment deadline. A late fee is assessed to students who have not made appropriate arrangements. If you make no payment towards your bill, you will eventually be dropped from classes for non-payment.
Dropping with a Refund
You may drop a course with a 100% refund through your STAR account during the Add/Drop period. No official record of your registration will be retained for courses dropped during this period. This period is variable in length depending on the length of the term of the class. Please check the Academic Calendar for the last day to drop a class with a 100% refund.
Dropping with a W
After the late add/drop period, you will be required to have a
form signed by your advisor to drop individual courses with a W. You should always speak with your instructor before deciding to drop a course with a W. To withdraw from all courses requires multiple signatures. Your signature is always required. There is no refund for dropping an individual course with a W.
In the event that your advisor is not available, you should contact the department chair. If the department chair is not available, you should contact your dean. WVU Tech has a complete directory to assist you. Please refer to the semester academic calendar to the right top of this page for drop deadlines.
Withdrawing from ALL Classes
If you have paid for classes (including partially or in full with a scholarship or other financial aid), it is your responsibility to withdraw from your classes if you do not intend to come. During the add/drop period and the late add/drop period, you withdraw from all classes through STAR. Follow the instructions here.
After this period, you must obtain a withdrawal form , which will require the signature of several college officials.
You are eligible for a 100% refund if you withdraw before classes start or during the add/drop period. After the add/drop period, there is a graduated refund schedule. Please see a current catalog for the refund schedule or the current semester academic calendar (listed to the right top of this page). After a certain point in the semester, no refund is assessed for a complete withdrawal. Students withdrawing from all classes may be subject to returning a portion of financial aid. Please see the catalog for more information.
Occasionally, you may seek special approval for registering in a course you would otherwise not be able to enroll in. Please see this form for details. You will need to take it to the appropriate administrator for permission to add a course that has the specified error/conflict. Approval is up to the appropriate administrator and is not guaranteed.
Be sure to keep up with the add, drop, and complete withdrawal dates with the Academic Calendar.
Checking Grade Online:
1. Point your browser to http://www.mix.wvu.edu/
2. You will see the “Mountaineer Xpress” window with the MIX Login Screen
3. Enter your Username and Password. If your MIX account is firstname.lastname@example.org, then your Username is jdoe. If you were admitted to the University after July 11, 2004 your password is your 2-digit day of birth and the last 4 digits of your WVU ID.
If you were admitted to the University prior to July 11, 2004 your password is your 2-digit day of birth and the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number (unless you changed it). For example, if your date of birth is May 3, 1974 and your Social Security Number is 123-45-6789, then your password is 036789.
4. Click “OK”
5. On the next page, click the STAR tab on the top.
6. Click the WVU STAR Information System link.
7. Click on ‘Student Services and Financial Aid’.
8. Select ‘Student Records’ link.
9. Select desired link to check grades.